Sunday, February 20, 2011

And Both Were Young, by Madeleine L'Engle

And Both Were Young, Madeleine L'Engle
The title of this book was the first thing that got it onto my 'to-read' list. For about a year and a half I had it on my list, and I didn't get around to buying it. Boy I wish I got it sooner. From the very first page I could NOT put this baby down. This was an emotional and beautiful book, about friendship and family of all forms. The history aspect was amazing, as we get a glimpse of a time period which we will never actually get to see in person. L'Engle does an amazing job at showing character development, as we witness each character grow and blossom into their or beautiful person. 
It is also, what the readers will find out, a mystery. This book contains an element from a wide variety of different categories. Mystery, romance, friendship, school life, historical fiction, and war time. 

I can't stress enough, how truly beautiful this book is. 
At first, I didn't realize that this was written in another time period, and I had never read any of L'Engle's work. But I noticed the language was different, and then I looked at the year published and I was stunned. I usually don't read books that were written such a long time ago, but I think my mind has changed completely. If anything, after this book, I have a different take on older literature. I definitely have a broader horizon in my library, and I'm happy to say that Madeleine L'Engle is now one of my favorite authors.

It is a beautiful novel until the very end, and it is a novel that I will continue to read over and over. I would recommend this to every level of readers, and every age!!! From pre-teen, to mature women.

Go out,  buy this, and I promise you I won't regret it
Peace.Love.Reading
The Book Genie
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS!

11/8/2010

HELLO READERS OF THE WORLD! If you haven’t already, go pick up your copy of Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick! I’ve already read it, and give it a full 5 stars!!! It’s suspenseful and dramatic, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat....or bed...depending on where you read :) I advise everyone to go out and buy it!!

Images of the Book Genie:

All Book Genie logos are made by me with a lot of time and effort using multiple photo editing programs. Please do NOT steal them! You must ask permission to use the images, and then cite my blog! Thank you so much!

Hit Counter

Supported by mba programs team.

About Me

My photo
I am the Book Genie!! I love reading with all of my heart, (I'm a little dramatic sometimes) and it's an obsession I have to live with. New titles on the teen novel shelves makes my heart beat faster. I've read many books, and I've developed a love for all different types of them. I love making websites and animations, but most of all I love making movies. I want to pursue a career in the movie making industry later on in life. I would also love to start writing novels and screenplays. My family is the most important part about me, because they have taught me everything I know. My pets are also important to me, as are all the animals we feed and save.