Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'M HERE, YOU'RE HERE, LET'S TALK BOOKS!!

I'm here, you're here. Let's talk BOOKS!
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (AKA a world even Stephenie Meyer, the author of Twilight would like to live in) (THERE ARE SPOILERS BE CAREFUL). The book was so intriguing from the very first chapter. Yes, I was hooked right away. I read the books each in only a few days, trying to save time for eating and sleeping-of course these actions were forced by my parents...if it were for me I would stay up all night until the wee hours of the morning...oh wait! I did that too. Anyway, back to the book. Cassandra Clare does such a fabulous job with each of her characters making them individuals with original personalities. The chemistry between the characters is astonishing, especially when Jace and Clary start to hit it off well. Cassandra Clare has a way with words, especially the sarcastic comments from Jace. Jace has the wit to die for. In other words, Jace is the type of fictional guy girls will swoon over once they get a taste of his sarcasm. If I had to give superlatives to each of the characters I would say:
Jace-The heartthrob
Clary-The independent woman
Isabelle-The fighter
Alec-The best friend
Simon-Most likely to get accidently turned into a rat...
So. I've covered the characters. Now I'm moving on to the most important part of the book: The forbidden love story. The love between Clary and Jace catches me by the heart right off the bat. Jace is the protective type, always worrying about Clary, but not in a psycho-boyfriend-type way. As the book progresses we realize how different Jace has become and we learn that the whole reason behind his new transformation is in fact the pure existence of Clary. Other members of Jace's family explain that Jace did not get close to people or even open up, before Clary arrived into Jace's life. The best part of the undenying love that Jace had for Clary was that he needed her. He was a troubled tough-boy-wannabe and needed Clary for his own very existence. But of course love like this couldn't come that easily. Cassandra Clare incorporates forbidden love into this wonderful series. How you ask? well, Jace and Clary find out they are in fact siblings. The evil and mysterious Valentine is their father. But don't worry MI fans! There is more to the story than meets the eye! Yes Clary is siblings with Jonathan Morgenstern, and yes Jace thinks he's Jonathan, but NO they are not the same people. Only at the very last minute to we find out that Clary and Jace can ultimately be together, more than friends.
Simon, became a problem to me from the very first chapter. Of course I love Simon, and he is very needed in the book, I realized from early on in the book however that he indeed did love Clary. Once Jace started becoming interested in Clary I was way too worried about Simon the whole time (I wanted Jace and Clary to live happily ever after, but not if it meant leaving Simon in the dust). Yet of course Cassandra Clare did not fail the fans. Cassandra Clare incorporates Simon into the book without having to take away the friendship between himself and Clary. He's an amazing friend to her, yet he realizes he'd rather she be happier with someone else than forcer herself to be with him against her wishes. It is truly an unrequited love story. Yet as the books progress there are other interests in Simon's love life, other girls he might have his eye on (of course no one will ever replace Clary in his heart). His friendship to her was more important than anything, which I love to see in a book (considering it is very hard to find in real life). He shows commitment in his friendships and pure loyalty.
I can't say that I am looking forward to starting a new series, because I have new found expectations. Cassandra Clare has very big shoes to fill in my opinion, and The Mortal Instruments will always be on my favorites list!!!
Good job Cassandra Clare, you've won over my heart!!!
Kiss*sealed with a kiss*
<3 JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS!

11/8/2010

HELLO READERS OF THE WORLD! If you haven’t already, go pick up your copy of Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick! I’ve already read it, and give it a full 5 stars!!! It’s suspenseful and dramatic, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat....or bed...depending on where you read :) I advise everyone to go out and buy it!!

Images of the Book Genie:

All Book Genie logos are made by me with a lot of time and effort using multiple photo editing programs. Please do NOT steal them! You must ask permission to use the images, and then cite my blog! Thank you so much!

Hit Counter

Supported by mba programs team.

About Me

My photo
I am the Book Genie!! I love reading with all of my heart, (I'm a little dramatic sometimes) and it's an obsession I have to live with. New titles on the teen novel shelves makes my heart beat faster. I've read many books, and I've developed a love for all different types of them. I love making websites and animations, but most of all I love making movies. I want to pursue a career in the movie making industry later on in life. I would also love to start writing novels and screenplays. My family is the most important part about me, because they have taught me everything I know. My pets are also important to me, as are all the animals we feed and save.